<VV> Resistor Question - Update

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 23:00:13 EST 2011

                                             B"H

I would like to thank everyone who respnonded to my question on the resistor wire.

Your answers and another look at the shop manual demonstrated that you were all correct and that my wiring is also good.

With ignition on and engine off, I got around 8 volts to the + terminal on the coil, which is correct.

Turned on the engine, got 16V to the coil (and the rest of the systems as well).  Soooooo...likely BAD voltage regulator.  Now was the time to swap in the almost-new upgraded alternator with built in voltage regulator.  Not a big problem, alternator now putting out around 14.5 volts to the system, 12V to the coil.  At least it's better.  I need to get the special bracket for the new alternator, left the old one on the old '69 and forgot to swap it.

New coil installed, engine still running really rough.

My next step is to check points gap and plugs.  I have a working Pertronix from my 69 which I'm planning on installing when I have time.