<VV> Towing Corvairs WAS corvair pics

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Nov 8 08:14:25 EST 2011

Glad the pictures worked ... There has been a time or two in the past when my pictures failed.

I bought a '69 ElCamino in January of 1969 ... a 3 speed 307 V8.  Super low end towing power but at 70 MPH all those little drum brakes did was make a funny noise.  Sometime in 1970 a '69 SS 396 had an unfortunate encounter with a tree and came to reside in the junkyard.  Shortly thereafter the stopping power of my ElCamino was dramatically improved!  At anything above 35 MPH it would stop on a dime ... and give 9 cents change.  Funny thing though, those little self energizing drum brakes would out perform the SS discs in around town driving!  I had to get used to allowing a little extra stopping space when I drove that ElCamino with the disc brakes.

That '69 towed lots of Corvairs, manual and automatics, [and other cars, trucks, and trailers] to lots of places near and far, over its 225 K life as did it's 305 V8 '76 ElCamino replacement.  The one in the picture is a '70 model with a 350 hp 350 V8 and it can pull just about anything inside out ... at any speed you wish :-)  I turned this Corvair around in the garage with a floor jack, hooked up the tow bar and pulled it 15 or so miles to my garage ... didn't even go past the junkyard.

I bought the tow bar in the early 60s and moved dozens and dozens of Corvairs with it over the years.  Lots of those Corvairs, and other cars, were pulled with my daily driver Corvair!

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.