<VV> 64 turbo acceleration issues

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Nov 9 20:42:49 EST 2011

I have no idea why a regulator would help gas dribbling after shutoff.
Since when would gas pressure be higher with the engine off? It should
be the same, as gasoline pressure is developed only by the spring in the
fuel pump, not the stroke. Many people can not grasp this concept...

If you are thinking the heat of the shut off engine is raising the
pressure, then what is the regulator going to do? It can only limit the
flow of gasoline from the fuel pump into the gas line between the
regulator and the needle/seat/carb inlet. If the engine is shut off, no
gas flows. Therefore no regulation.

It's not like the regulator spits out the excess pressure through a vent
hole. That would be exciting!

The return line system used on turbos and late late production adds
another wrinkle to the normal system described above. The return line
VENTS the gas line from the fuel pump to the carb/needle/seat. So, when
you shut off a normally plumbed turbo, the gas line pressure between the
fuel pump and carb drops to ZERO. So what will a regulator do? Nothing.....

Unless you plumb the regulator between the fuel filter and the carb, in
which case the line before the carb might not vent through the return
line, thus causing a problem, not fix one.

So, if the fuel line pressure drops to zero (make sure the return line
is clear back to the tank) and gas still drips in the carb, the fuel
level in the carb is where I would start troubleshooting.

If the accelerator pump has a hole in it, the symptom will be rich
mixture at idle. Then as the hole gets bigger, rich at speed too.

Comments, Smitty?

Frank DuVal

Flame suit on, as we are playing with gasoline here!