<VV> Tow Bar, Trailer, Tow Dolly, Tow Vehicle

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Nov 10 11:31:20 EST 2011

Like Chuck, I have a tow bar that clamps onto a Corvair's front bumper
in the same manner as he describes.  Mine is a "Helm" brand, purchased
in the 1970s.  It fits early and late Corvairs, and FCs.  When
installing it, it is possible to overtighten it such that it begins to
bend the stock late-model Corvair passenger car bumper.

I have towed EVERYWHERE with it.  It has towed Corvairs across the
George Washington Bridge in New York and across the Golden Gate Bridge
in California.

But to find one today, well, used is your only chance.  This type of
clamp-on-the-bumper tow bar began to be phased out of production when
bumpers became energy-absorbing and no longer mounted fast to the frame,
and they were gone from production by the time that bumpers became
body-colored plastic "bumper covers."

Still, there do exist in the market today simple tow bars that can be
adapted to fit not the Corvair bumper, but to the bumper's mounting
points with the bumper removed.  Not as quick and easy as mine, but
likely more secure.

In the early 1990s I bought a small car trailer, and since then I have
used the tow bar relatively infrequently, preferring the trailer.  I did
use the tow bar this summer to move a Rampside, and just this week I
used the trailer to move a Corsa.

Tow Bar:  Quick, easy, can be stowed in the trunk for the other leg of a
one-way tow.  Requires the vehicle being towed to have good tires, good
wheel alignment, good wheel bearings.  Need to add some sort of lighting
to the rear of the vehicle being towed.   No brakes.

Trailer:  Great for derelict cars.  Has brakes, lights.  Great for
long-distance tows.  Has to be stored somewhere (happily, mine fits in
the garage so I just put a car on it and back it in.)

Tow Dolly:  I have used these with great success to move
front-wheel-drive cars.  I would use a tow dolly to move a Corvair only
with a gun to my head.

Tow Vehicle:  I have towed with smaller vehicles and with Corvairs,
which is why today I tow with a full-size GMC truck.

--Bob