<VV> Vacuum Advance at idle.

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Fri Nov 11 00:40:50 EST 2011

Today I set my engine rpm to 600, adjusted the timing with the advance
hose off and plugged, reset the idle, rechecked the timing, then
hooked the hose up, and the engine accelerated as the advance moved
the plate a bit. What can I do to get the advance spring stiff enough
that the timing stays stable at idle and will come in later as I
advance RPM?

Mark Durham

  Mark,  you don't seem to understand what you are dealing with.

1  The Vacuum is  controlled by the pass. side carb....  ported!!

VA hose is on the VERTICLE port?  not the Horizontal!

2  If the hose is correct.... then the carb is too far open. [  idle setting of throttle plate]

This is caused by the left carb being too far closed...

 In other words... you need to re- balance the airflow of the carbs...

What method are you using to balance?

ps.. Vacuum is HIGHEST at idle!  and falls off as rpm is raised...

this is why  the carb controls the   off / on  of the VA.

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages