<VV> timing changes at idle.

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Nov 11 09:46:38 EST 2011

As Matt says, make sure the vertical port you are using does not have
any vacuum on it at idle. Turn down the idle speed screw on this carb to
reduce the vacuum at idle.

The vacuum advance trick you have read here is to use a hammer and deep
socket to dimple the face of the VA unit, thereby increasing the spring
pressure on the diaphragm. Another way to accomplish the same is to bend
the tab on the other end, beside the actuating lever. Hard to describe
in words, but have seen it demonstrated at club meetings.  This trick is
to keep the advance from coming on too quickly.

First fix the vacuum at the port.

This is "ported" vacuum, which operates reverse of manifold vacuum. i.e.
this port should be max vacuum at full throttle, and zero at idle. It is
the vacuum above the throttle plate.

Frank DuVal