<VV> Towing & Insp.

Ray Davis scout1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 19:05:21 EST 2011

New trailer laws went into effect July 1 in Virginia.  Two things that I am aware of is the ball fastener mechanism (trailer hitch) must be locking (not a lock but locking),  Some have the screw down type that has a lock but it sometimes breaks and is not replaced.  Some hitches also close and hook but have a place for a pin or a simple bolt and nut.  The chains must also have a locking feature.  You cannot use just a hook.  There may also be wording to require chains that will hold the trailer in case the hitch fails.  Chains have been a requirement but some have failed when the trailer comes loose, thus the change and I suppose enforcement of the changes.  As you can see I do not know the nomenclature used but hopefully you get the picture.  I think at one time inspections were required on all trailers but at some point it changed to only require inspections on trailers with brakes.  I am not certain if there are brake requirements based on size but they are required on trailers with two axles.
Ray Davis

P Think Green! Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary.