<VV> Someone is speeding, someone pays, so all is good ~ driving a Corvair can help

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Mon Nov 14 14:37:55 EST 2011

Sometimes driving a Corvair can help, but probably only before you get the
ticket:

I was racing a 4-4-2 reaching about 110 MPH, back in the day on the Long
Island Expressway (almost empty) and we passed an off-duty cop at 2 AM.
He apparently called an on-duty cop reporting "2 yellow convertibles at high
speed," but by the time he caught us, my fan belt flew off and we were
inspecting each other's cars (the 4-4-2 driver didn't believe what he was
seeing).

When the cop finally got to us, I said, "What ?  You're kidding right ? This
is a Corvair!" and he went looking for a more viable victim than a Corvair
doing 110 ? Ridiculous!

However, in most other cases, cops and courts figure, "Somebody was
speeding, someone paid a fine, the state got its money" so all is good.
It's really not important if the one who was speeding is the one who paid
the fine.

The cops record (kill rate) is secure, and the cash machine is working.
What else matters?

California is in a deeper hole than Florida, so my fine was $370 (for nearly
exactly the same thing, except the unit he claimed to be using was in
Florida being repaired at the time he claimed to use it)

In California, the fine is $244 up to 15 MPH over the limit, and $370 up to
99 MPH (a woman in court with me was doing 96 MPH in a 55 zone, and was
fined $370, same as my alleged "82 in a 65"!)

Reasonable doubt is required in California, but is in the judge's
discretion, meaning if the cop says someone, it's true, and if you say it,
it's false.

Therefore there is no doubt that the judge cannot set a bad precedent, which
would flood the courts and undermine the "authority" of the police (any more
than they do to themselves?)

In California, cops killed a defenseless homeless guy and the other cops
paid their $1,000,000.00 bail!

Another cop lived in a gated community ~ how could he afford that ?  His
neighbors felt safe having a cop for a neighbor, until he was caught
burgarlizing his neighbors homes!

No, they're not ALL bad, but it just takes a few ~ "my cop" made about
$3,200 in the 3 hours he was fishing on the I-215 that morning alone!

To put it in perspective, Washington DC parking meters rakes in $39,232 in
fines PER METER!