<VV> Grease rear wheel bearings

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Nov 28 10:59:11 EST 2011

Smitty Says;  I have a suggestion that should satisfy both the pro greasers
and the anti greasers.  If you would all drill and tap the shaft and install
a fitting.  Then pump in what you consider the proper amount of grease.
Take the hub apart and visually inspect the bearings to see if all the
grease went to one end, (or did you even get enough in to reach the
bearings).  Or did you pump a bunch of rust products into the bearings from
inside the shaft.  (take it apart and check)!  After that you can make an
intelligent decision whether you did the right thing or not.
I believe the right way is to pay someone for press work, or do it yourself,
or buy one already set up.  Doing it yourself is a daunting task unless you
have the proper tools.  I made a kit around 10 years ago to enable one to do
it at the bench in your own garage.  Works fine but if I had to pay for all
the parts and machine work it would have cost $500.  Hence the advise to
"have it done".