<VV> rusted tie rod sleeves

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Oct 2 10:53:57 EDT 2011

original message
----- Original Message -----
Thanks to you and the other folks who mentioned using the right tool - I have the special tool shown here:

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=370

I think one like this might be a better choice, tho:

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Pitman-Adjusting-Tool/dp/B000IOFVUM/ref=pd_sim_auto1

Using it I got some penetrant into the sleeve, but couldn't break it loose yet. I'll hit it again tonight, I'm also going to try the 'two hammer' method suggested. These ones aren't particularly rusty, so I expect a little patience will do the trick.

-Bryan

Rust seizes parts together partly because it is less dense than the steel it used to be, so "swells up" in the available space. But it is also relatively weak, so can be crushed.

I think that squeezing the sleeve all alont its length Vice grip maxi HARD in multiple directions before attempting to turn it will help break the rust's connection between the parts.
Similarly, there is a benefit of heating a seized bolt red hot before attempting removal. The thermal expansion crushes the rust, perhaps more effectively than warming the nut to create "extra clearance." The metallurgical effect of taking various steels to red heat, followed by uncontrolled cooling, is another topic.

Dan T