<VV> timing

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 21:14:27 EDT 2011

I have a 61 Rampy. Turns out that the engine is a 64. also turns out that the
distributor was a 61. I have "re-sealed" the engine, and replaced the
distributor with a 64 . I have replaced the fuel pump which was bad, and
installed Pertronix II elec. ign. and coil. with all this, I have no idea what
the  timing is now. can anyone tell me how to initially set the timing  (with
electronic ignition)  to get it running, so that I can set the timing right with
it running? Thank you in advance.
...,Bruce

>From my Techpages;

2  To re-install distributor:

A  Remove sparkplug from #1 [ closest to dist.]
B  Crank engine with starter with finger in hole.
C  When pressure blows your fing out...STOP
D  Timing mark will have passed the timing guide / rotate pulley CW until
      the timing mark on the pulley is at 14 DEG. STOP DO NOT MOVE ENGINE!!
E  With dist. in your hand.....point rotor towards VA diaphram...1" below VA
F  Look at bottom of Dist. shaft......with VA pointed at rear bumper /
    determine where the oil pump SLOT should be....taking into account the gears are
     angled and the Rotor will turn approx. 1/8 turn...
G  Align oil pump slot...........install dist. [ gasket!] and insert dist.
      until it bottoms out at gasket surface...if not move oil pump shaft slightly...
H  Add holdown clamp and tighten with fingers.
I   Connect wire from Dist. to "-" of coil
J  Add Dist. cap / Coil lead and # 1 SP wire.....with sparkplug in! Hold SP against metal.
K  Turn on Ignition..DO NOT CRANK ENGINE
L  By hand..Rotate Dist CW all the way it will go [ hits eng.]
M  Rotate CCW slowly until #1 SP fires STOP Tighten down dist.

NOTE: if you set the points right / have spark...there is no reason to move
the Distributor. ANY engine will run with this timing. Any problems with missing / bad idle is the Carbs or the Sparkplugs /wires, etc.

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages