<VV> timing

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 21:51:53 EDT 2011

Great if you have points, not so easy with a Pertronix.  I doubt if it
will trigger at, essentially, zero RPM. At step J set the  rotational position
so it appears as the rotor is pointing at the post in  the cap for cylinder
#1. Then tighten the distributor down, but not totally  tight. Go ahead and
start it up and set the timing with a light.

I also suggest another helper. Before you drop the distributor in, when you
 have the timing mark at (or near) the TDC indicator on the
balancer/pulley, take  a minute and mark the exact timing point on the balancer/pulley.
Here is what I  did last week. I wiped the area on the pulley near the timing
mark very  clean. Then I took a bottle of real "white out" and marked about a
3/8"  wide section of the pulley, with the timing slot in the middle. After
a few  minutes, the white out dries fully. After that, take a narrow black
magic  marker, and mark the center of the slot. It makes it VERY easy to see
the flash  of the timing light while timing.

- Seth Emerson

In a message dated 10/11/2011 6:14:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,