<VV> Parts PRICING ?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Oct 12 10:57:39 EDT 2011

In a message dated 10/12/2011 4:06:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
N2VZD at aol.com writes:

just  curious , what is the present going price structure for  a  saginaw 4
spd transaxle? and 140 used heads?
digging thru my  stash soon , and i guess i may be cleaning out.  i was
looking  for something the other day , and found more things here i will
never
need. space is getting tighter as i part out that EXTREMELY rusty 64
greenbrier  deluxe. winter is coming on way too fast!
i will post  more soon when i get them out in the open and take  pictures.
i have  prices in mind to start with.
regards, Tim  Colson

Tim - I guess you are looking for opinions. When it comes to used parts, I
apply the Big Mac principle.
(This is all theory, I don't actually eat a Big Mac.)

When I am hungry, and I arrive at a MacDonalds, I will pay the $2.50 for a
big Mac. If I was really hungry, and I had a coupon for a second BigMac for
only  $1.50 - I might pay that and have a second Big Mac. At that point, If
they  offered me a third Big Mac, I might say, Well, I am pretty full, a
Third Big Mac  is only worth $.50 to me. Now, if I was in the business of
reselling Big Macs, I  might pay the $1.50 for a few Big Macs if I can resell
them for $2.50.

So, back to your parts. I have seen Saginaw Transaxles (4-sp, non-posi) go
for about $250, with Posi, about $75 more.. If equipped with the changeover
 pieces for converting a 65 to a Saginaw, maybe an extra $50, But it helps
the  sale-ability by opening up the field of possible buyers. If a buyer has
a 65  4-speed car with bad Synchros, and really wants to convert to  a Sagin
aw,  the used Saginaw, in good shape, might be worth $350 or even  more.

Most of the  140 owners I know have a spare set of heads up on the shelf.
(Of course, many of  those owners are racers, and we tend to have a
pessimistic view of the  mechanical world). Again, if you already have a spare set, a
second spare  set is not worth as much. But if you just dropped a valve
seat, say in your race  motor, and you have another race coming up this Sunday,
a spare head or two  would be worth more. My guesstimate on the heads (No
dropped seats, but  complete) would be $250 for a pair.

Both for the  heads, but especially for the transaxle, shipping will be
expensive, so  local buyers should be encouraged.

Good luck, Tim, with your down-sizing efforts

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose,  CA