<VV> Trans and differential gear lube

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Oct 19 09:15:29 EDT 2011

Many of you know I am in the process of 'waking up' a 1965 Monza 2 door hardtop sedan from a slumber which began in 1976.  My first move was to put a wrench on the crankshaft bolt and move the crank a little.  The motor was not stuck so I drained the oil, which appeared to be new, and removed the pan to scrape out up to 1/4 inch of sludge.  I installed a new PF4 filter and modern oil.  With the gas line disconnected and gas poured into the carbs, the engine cranked and ran.

This car shows 19,892 miles but the wear on the pedals makes me want to add a 1 in front of that number.  The car came with lots of extra parts [all wrapped in 1976 newspapers] including an instrument panel that was missing the speedometer.  Now, actual mileage is anyone's guess.

I read an article by Richard Widman concerning gear oil.  What should I do about the 4 speed trans and the differential?  There is a great possibility they still have the original lubricants.  Should I check them and top them off if needed?  Should I drain and refill them?  In either case What lube should I use?

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.