<VV> Ball Joints on late Models ?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Oct 20 07:42:01 EDT 2011

At 04:59 PM 10/18/2011, Ron wrote:
>The lowers go first as the entire load of the front end are on them.  On my
>'62, the tapered stud snapped in half just under the nut and washer.
>RonH

Same thing with me on the '65 ragtop Back When, only the break was
just above the ball portion in the joint housing, snapped off
flush.   No warning, just a sudden clack as the lower control arm hit
the pavement followed by a lurch to port.   Driver's side.  It
happened as I was parking downtown, moving at a walking pace so no
damage, got lucky.

I had only 3 minutes earlier been going down I-81.   Check those ball
joints anyway although I don't think in the case of either Ron's or
mine that checking would have turned up anything wrong, but still if
it's loose it needs attention.  Mine may have been slightly loose and
that might have been responsible for fatigue that eventually caused
the crack.

tony..