<VV> LM turbos and no lower shrouds

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Mon Oct 24 18:59:10 EDT 2011

As is easily discovered in many articles on the Web, running oil
temps lower than the 210-220 range is VERY BAD for your engine.  You
WILL build up sludge, increase friction, reduce mileage, and risk
catastrophic engine failure when the sludge gets to be too
much.  Which was my point -- if you are running a stock engine in
stock conditions (e.g. as a normal road car) then the stock cooling
will provide the desired heat RANGE to keep everything correct as it
was engineered.  I have no opinion on modified cars without a lot of
study on the particular car. E

At 09:00 AM 10/24/2011, you wrote:
>Message: 4
>Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 22:46:51 -0700
>From: Chris & Bill Strickland <lechevrier at earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: <VV> LM turbos and no lower shrouds
>To: VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
> >  You may think the cooling is inadequate but I'll bet there are more
> >  owners that think the heating is inadequate.
>
>I bet forty years ago, this same group of owners  would be flip-flopped
>on this survey.  Face it folks, many of us have "matured" a bit since
>driving literally everywhere in a "spirited" manner was typical.
>
>Look at us -- many seem to deem switching from short shrouds for summer
>to long shrouds for winter is too much trouble, so they run one or the
>other year round and say the "cooling is okay" or the "heat is okay" --
>as we know, that is a pile of bull, whether we will admit it or not.
>
>I have been running a Lakewood since spring, shrouds off  (short shrouds
>added after the NW Econo-Run to Victoria -- I really needed "some"
>heat), in fairly "spirited" driving, and the oil temp gauge was reading
>about 220 F most of the time, but now that cooler weather is here, I
>find days when the oil temp will barely reach 200 F, and I'm going to
>get the full shrouds back on -- no stats planned, yet.  carefully
>deflashed, 62 fan, and folded fin.  dino.  need a thermister.
>
>fwiw,
>
>Bill Strickland

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )