<VV> LM turbos and no lower shrouds

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Mon Oct 24 20:06:09 EDT 2011

I've never run it instrumented -- it is a 7.3 Powerstroke with medium
modifications -- should be around 400 hp and 800 lb/feet torque, will
easily do 130 top speed (and I won't exceed that because the tires
are made for towing, not speed -- in fact that was too fast).  It has
5 inch exhaust and pushes 32 lbs of boost easily (up to 38 if I set
my tuners accordingly -- many Powerstrokes do much more than 40lbs,
but that requires an engine teardown which I have not done).  It runs
8 lbs boost just cruising easy down the highway.  In 4x4 high it will
shred 4 big truck tires for way longer than I am will to allow
it.  And it will pull 18-20,000 lbs gross up a 6% grade at 75 which
is what it is really built for and I find pretty impressive.  I use
Mobil 1 15-50 in this beast too ...

But it is not all that fast, it is just modern.  Mini vans these days
do 0-60 faster than Spyders and Corsas.  Higher top speed and 1/4
too.  As far as modern fast cars ... 175 mph is not even fast anymore
and 0-60 in 5 seconds in not fast anymore (actually 4 is a little
fast, really fast is 3 seconds).  And there is no modification you
can make to a Corvair to make it go 0-60 in 3 seconds with a top
speed over 200 mph.  Or even 0-60 in 5.1 and top speed 175 which any
remotely sporty/modern car can do (even sedans and coupes).  E