<VV> LM turbos and no lower shrouds

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Tue Oct 25 06:30:42 EDT 2011

 Also not to get into a war...

Marine engines are overcooled all the time, but look at their cooling source! As such, not particularly applicable to an air cooled engine!!  :)

Corvair engines aren't water pumpers, no matter how much SOME people want to spray water all over and into them!! <G>

In my experience, overcooling a Corvair engine is just about impossible. And yes, mine had all the seals in place around the engine, etc.

Design parameters assumes things were designed for the intended application. Given that the 80 through 180 HP Corvairs have essentially the same cooling system, I have little doubt the cooling system was designed based on cost. GM simply figured if they didn't overheat to destruction while cruising, that's fine. They didn't really care beyond that, where obviously I do! ALL Corvairs, if driven hard (and if you have a 140, a turbo, or just like having fun, why wouldn't you?) will run hotter than ideal, often by a lot.

So, yeah, there's room for improvement. A LOT of room for improvement.

John Roberts