<VV> Overcooling (was: LM turbos and no lower shrouds)

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Tue Oct 25 10:55:13 EDT 2011

jvhroberts at aol.com wrote:

> In my experience, overcooling a Corvair engine is just about impossible. And yes, mine had all the seals in place around the engine, etc.

Well, there's your problem!  [ Grin ! ]

Back in my misspent youth I once created a Corvair engine that
overcooled.  I took too many things off!  It was a stock 1965 140, fully
deflashed, with not only the lower shrouds removed, but also the front
shrouds (the ones to which the lower heater hoses attach) trimmed to
just the innermost piece, and the rear ducts (the door assemblies) also
trimmed to just the innermost part.  (These innermost pieces extend down
to the midpoint on the cylinder barrels and heads.)

Street-driven that engine NEVER reached operating temperature.  Full
front shrouds and rear ducts went back on it in relatively short order.