<VV> Fwd: A Real Blast WAS DULL Cars (no Corvair)

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Oct 26 18:23:16 EDT 2011

Had you been around in the day you would know the acceleration of those cars was limited by tire traction ... they were doing that on 'cheater slicks' which without a great deal of driver skill would smoke the whole quarter mile.

Perhaps you would be more impressed with the '62 409 on TV a few years back that could run in the mid 11s with Corvette tires ... and could still smoke 'em for the whole quarter.  Or how about the Pontiac 2+2 racing against the Ferrari for which it was named.  It couldn't pass the Ferrari in the corners but it outdid it in every other category.  Perhaps if they had changed out the street tires and turned off the A/C ... but, after all, it was a very warm day.  Most of the mussel you mentioned could do better than a 409 or the 2+2.

Those light weights with the techie motors just do not have the excitement factor of those old school super torque motors.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.