<VV> Corvair Tall Tales(?)

psergeant paulsgt at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 26 22:05:42 EDT 2011

Master Lurker here...
My Wednesdays off are usually spent doing something with one of my cars.  Today, I took the gas tank (removed from the 28,000 mile CORSA) to a radiator shop/gas tank place to get a quote on refurbishing it (It is VERY crusty inside from sitting for 13 years with about 2 gallons of crappy gas).  Anyway, the guy that runs this little shop in Topeka, KS swears that he had some buddy that had a Corvair from the factory with a "304 V8", air cooled and it would get 52MPG!  This guy was dead serious.  I gently challenged him on his facts and he swears this was the case.  I walked out of there shaking my head in dis-belief.  Thought I'd heard them all!   I guess radiator shops would have no real reason to know anything about Corvairs but...COME ON!

The moral of the story however is that, it is much cheaper to buy a new gas tank (or refurbish it yourself) than have somebody do it.

Back to lurking mode.

Enjoy something Corvair today.

Paul Sergeant - Lee's Summit, MO
65 Monza Convertible (110/PG)
61 Pontiac Tempest Safari Wagon (1/2 a V8 <- I'll bet that guy at the radiator shop has never seen one of these either!)
66 Corsa Coupe (140/4 - 28,000 original miles)

CORSA since 1975
Member - HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, POCI, Little Indians.