<VV> PG discussion (was "A good day in my little Vair' shop")

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Sat Oct 29 01:58:40 EDT 2011

Yes, automatics perform better in drag races, but the Corvair's success
among its contemporary straight-line muscle car competition was its
performance in corners, not in the straight races, if memory serves me ?

I remember being surrounded be the noisy behemoths after classes at the
college, and waiting for them to slow down through the "cloverleaf" that I
knew would stop them dead in the tracks, while I wove between them, to watch
their headlights lumbering around and into the straights where it would take
them a mile and a half to catch me !

The Corvair gained a little respect at that point, just for its prowess in
those corners!

My favorite memory for a "straight line race" was my 69 Monza 140 that went
from a standing start, gear-for-gear with a 68 Charger to about 65 (in a 40
zone, so we both backed down, but he demanded to know what I was "hiding"!
I had to open the "hood" to prove I was not hiding a V8 up there!)

Corvairs may do well in drag races for their balance, but road racing is
their forte, and a 4-speed gives the best "balance of power" over the RPM
range, IMHO.

~Cz