<VV> 1948 Tucker

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Oct 30 01:12:13 EDT 2011

So the 51 cars built were pushed around?

Doesn't explain the ones we saw driven on the streets.

The 51 were powered by the Franklin engine, not the Tucker engine.

The stamping plant produced enough sheet metal and frames to build at
least 51 cars. Whether the plant was Tucker owned I do not know, as many
non car manufacturer owned stamping plants supplied the independents.
BTW, did you know Autolite, the company known for batteries,
distributors and other electric components for car companies also
supplied fenders, bumpers and plastic parts?  There were many sources
for auto parts which were not owned by the car manufacturers.

You should see the Tucker collection we have in Alexandria, VA. Most
every shop drawing is there! The original mule with a Tucker engine is
also there.

The owner of the collection said we were lucky to collect Corvairs, as
we could drive them anywhere. He couldn't drive his Tuckers anymore due
to their high value. Trailered anywhere for showing, not driven.

Frank DuVal