<VV> Speedo pain

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Sun Oct 30 12:18:02 EDT 2011

On my 62 coupe PG ... for a year or so it has made ticking noises
both from the rear and under dash.  I never did any thing because of
all my Corvairs this one has worked the best -- accurate and does not
wiggle at all.  Now it has gotten cold and it start not working
(staying at zero) for 10 minutes of driving, and then working
perfectly.  All this time the odo is fine.  Meanwhile the speedo was
ugly so I replaced it.  No change.  Another month, and then the
speedo locked at 100 mph.  Odo worked.

So, I said it must be a lube problem.  Pulled cable.  Spedo went to
zero as soon as the cable was pulled.  Sticky grease on
cable.  Cleaned, used graphite, put it back in.  Good news -- it is
silent on both ends.  The odo works perfectly.  Bad news. No speedo
not stuck on 100, stuck on zero .  I pulled cable and put a different
one (ancient NOS).  Same result.  I even measured the miles on the
odo -- right on.  No noise.  No speedo.  If I put only the cable in
and twist it wiggles the speedo.  I am pretty sure it is seated well
when I screw it in.

I find it unlikely that two speedos are bad.  But then two cables
must be bad?  Cant be the rear piece as the odo works.  Does anyone
know the internals of the speedo -- does the cable pass through the
odo first then the speedo?  That would make two bad cables most likely.

Any ideas?

Eric

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )