<VV> Gas heater installation

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Mon Oct 31 17:41:30 EDT 2011

Yes I installed an NOS gas heater on my Monza wagon (and several
other cars).  No different than any other car.  Unless you have
block-off plates you will have to make them (not hard) or use 61
shrouds from a car w/gas heater for that part and make the rest.  You
have to entirely remove the old heater and block those holes, some
firewall holes, I block from the inside the heater vents.

It is REALLY nice.  That is the good news, 140 degrees in 15 seconds.

The pitfalls are that these parts are old.  Especially switches and
burner kit items -- and they affect safety.  There is an interesting
switch heat driven in the burner that failed on the burner.  Mine
failed on my sedan and ... the inevitable, it caught on fire.  No big
deal and not dangerous as people like to claim ... just soot on the
paint and a new wiring harness required.

But -- the worst kit I did was the NOS kit (I think it got wet).  I
have had better luck getting complete decent gas heaters from used
cars and then replacing ALL the switches with NOS and rebuilding the
burners with the correct kit, new spark plug, points plate, etc.  A
burner kit, spark plug, spare external fan, spare points plate, spare
safety switches are things I would accumulate.

BTW -- I have many gas heaters in various conditions, many NOS
spares, etc. -- and I am selling them all, so if you need something, email me.

Eric

At 03:52 PM 10/30/2011, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:23:33 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Lite Trix Inc." <litetrix at aol.com>
>Subject: <VV> Gas heater installation
>To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
>Want to put a gas heater into a station wagon that never had one.
>Anyone try this on a wagon or early model? What are the pitfalls or
>problem steps? Thanks
>

>Patrick Murphy

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )