<VV> coil voltage/resistor

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:01:47 EDT 2011

Hello all,

     I'm still struggling with the 63 and I've got a question for you.  I'm
suspicious that the coil has been overheating so I checked voltage at the
coil with the engine running.  (Because I haven't got things right yet it's
idling at around 1000-11000 rpm).
I found that the voltage at the coil was in the 13's.  I went and dug out a
ballast resistor that the FLAPS sold me a long time ago when I bought a
coil for a Corvair and installed it in the wire just before it connects to
the coil.... I think I've got a wiring issue here but we'll talk about that
later.  With the ballast resistor in line before the coil I'm still getting
around 12v flat at the coil while the engine is running at 1000-1100 rpm.
I checked voltage drop accross the ballast resistor and it read 1.3.  Is
this acceptable voltage?  I really thought it was supposed to be around 9
or 10?

     Now back to the less critical (at the moment) issue of the wiring,
there is only one wire going onto the + side of the coil, aren't there
supposed to be two?  Possibly my confusion is because I'm used to Corvairs
with a tach...  I'm thinking about the 12v to the coil you are supposed to
get when cranking... coming from the start solenoid to the coil.. I guess
maybe the wire with the resistor merges with this other line before the
final wire to the coil?  Also where is the resistor supposed to be in an
early (63)?  Is it a resistor wire like the lates I'm more familiar with?

Thanks all, off to eat dinner then probably run to the FLAPS for a new
coil.  Want to make sure I've got the wiring right before I put on the new
coil and risk damaging it.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez
Lake Ariel, PA