<VV> Plastic parts

mark at noakes.com mark at noakes.com
Mon Oct 31 20:02:13 EDT 2011

Our plastic 3D printer that we've had forever is a Stratasys; it prints
ABS plastic and can generate up to an 8 inch cube product. However the
market is working on models that can do much larger parts. It's not
uncommon for us to design parts that bolt together to make larger pieces
though. Ours has a rather coarse print resolution, but the material can
be sanded or machined for better finish, and the newer printers can do
much better. Seems like ours cost about $50K back in 2004 when no one
had them, but they have come down a lot in price now. I see Stratasys
now has a model for $15K, but that is still too much for an individual
to buy (me anyway). The DIY kits are interesting (even I've been
thinking about doing one though I have access to real printers) but too
small and crude to be of much real use. A lot of universities and
businesses have commercial 3D printers now though. I suggest finding a
univ that might be willing to print parts for you.

While we initially bought ours for fast prototyping to make sure
everything worked out in conceptual design prototypes before cutting
metal, we mostly use ours now for bracket engineering, custom
electronics enclosures, and parts that do not require high
strength...most recent was for a bracket/stop integrating a reed relay
limit switch into a machine automation task. The turn around time is a
few hours to at most overnight.

As to the cost of the printed part, it is nothing compared to the
engineering design time...a few dollars depending on how much plastic
you use.

Even with our focus on the newer metal 3D printers, our plastic printer
stays so busy that we have to negotiate amongst ourselves for a spot in
the queue. There's almost always something running.

Mark N