<VV> Shipping a door ~ Greyhound ~ Whodathunk ?

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 15:53:57 EDT 2011

Folks,

This has nothing to do with Corvairs, but the notes about shipping parts via Greyhound bus reminded me of my TV news days in Green Bay, Wis., from late '68 to early '73.

We had stringers (independent photographers) in other cities who'd shoot news film and send it to us from places like Madison and Manitowoc for same-day delivery. We'd pick up the packages at the bus depot in GB and take 'em to the TV station (WFRV-TV, Channel 5) and develop the film there. The stringers would send notes and/or talk with us on the phone, so we'd write a script and have it ready when the film came out of the soup and was ready for editing.

Occasionally we'd go to Madison ("Mad Town") to cover some heavy event, and someone would have to leave for Green Bay with the film in time to get it on the 6 o'clock newscast. I found I could leave at 3 p.m. and make it to GB by 5 (usually a 2.5-hour drive) if I drove fast, at 80+ mph. There was one stretch of U.S. 26 southwest of Fond du Lac where I could safely cruise at 100 mph for maybe 10 or 15 miles. and It was safe because I'd run with headlights on, the two-lane road was wide and straight, there was little traffic, and never a State Patrol car in sight. The car I'd use for this dash was a '67 Plymouth wagon (a Belvedier, I think) with a 318 V-8 and a 727 automatic. It was a fast and reliable car.

 Of course, today everything's photographed digitally and transmitted almost instantaneously by uplink or the internet.

Back to Greyhound: It was very reliable and reasonable in cost. I didn't know that they handle large items. Anyone know the size and weight limits?

--Tom in Ohio