<VV> Problems with a 140 tear down

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Sep 2 11:32:59 EDT 2011

My personal experience tells me that seized engines are [perhaps] always the rings to the cylinder walls.  That makes a Corvair engine the easiest of all to 'unstick.'  First, resist the urge to use any kind of penetrants.  Remove the heads.  Next, heat the cylinder barrels, one at a time, to red hot all around in the area of the rings.  Hit the sides of the cylinder barrel with a heavy rubber mallet directing the force in such a manner as to drive the cylinder barrel out of the block and off the piston.  It is a good idea to place something under the engine [wooden box?] to catch the cylinder barrel.  It is not a good idea to try to catch it by hand.

Once off, all parts once cooled, less the rings, can be reused.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.