<VV> Bohunk moments

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Thu Aug 16 18:42:47 EDT 2012

It has been awhile since anyone has reported a Bohunk Moment.
Today my long time friend and Corvair owner Al Ladriere called to discuss a pesky oil leak around the oil filter adapter on his 64 Spyder convertible. I mentioned he needed to change the gasket just to be sure to which he said he didn't have one. An order from Clarks would take too long as he was planning on doing a local car show with us. Obviously I said I had one he could use and since it was a nice day for a drop top cruise I said I'd deliver it and help him out. All was going well as I cleaned the old gasket from the filter housing when I noticed there was a crankcase vent tube on his bench. This is the part that attaches to the side of the blower housing and sticks up through the top shroud turkey roaster. I mentioned it and said I was looking for one in good shape and would he sell it. He replied Oh, I was going to ask you where that went. At first I thought he was putting me on. I said, did this come off the 64? He said yeas but he couldn't remember where it went. Again I thought he was joking. I moved over to the car to look at what if anything her attached the rest of the tube to. It was in the hole and clamped down! I couldn't believe it! When I explained to him where it went he was not happy with himself. He realized all the top engine stuff would have to be removed to get the roaster off. We went to lunch to let it soak in.
In his partial defense he has had the top of the engine torn apart for almost two years. Little by little when he had time he would work on it. Finally he made the big push this week to get it ready for the show.
I am still laughing but, I helped him this afternoon to get it right. When I left the top shroud was on and tomorrow I will assist him in getting the turbo and exhaust pipes back on and ready for the show.
I took photos too so, I'll post them on the Corvair Society Facebook page.
Just when you thought you had heard it all.....along comes my friend Al. His wife is enjoying this! Ahh, karma...

Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com