<VV> Head torque, valve adjustment

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Tue Aug 21 23:40:43 EDT 2012

For what it's worth:

  In over 30 plus years of  working on my own and many other Corvairs, i've never had a head nut/stud come loose when adjusting the valves with the engine running.  I just clean all threads thoroughly and run the corresponding nut/stud on and off a couple times, lube them liberally and torque them in 5 lb increments according to Richard Finch's method contained in his "How to Keep Your Corvair Alive" book.

   Either i've been very very lucky, or his system really does work extremely well.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

'63 ragtop 110/pg

'65 monza 4dr 84/pg

'60 700 4dr  80/soon-to-be 4 spd.