<VV> was... Filling tank in early model...now fuel/oil consumption

mark at noakes.com mark at noakes.com
Fri Jan 6 23:15:16 EST 2012

I guess range is highly subjective because it is based on balance of
city/highway driving as well as vehicle specs, driving style, use of gas
heaters in earlies, but is 200 miles per tank in the range of normal?
What do people normally get?

Both my 66 110/4-speed and my 61 Lakewood 102/4-speed consistently got
in the upper mid 20s mpg. In prehistoric times when I was an undergrad
at college, I would drive the 280+ miles trip to my parents' house
nonstop and arrive with 3+ gallons to spare.  (At least on this car,
when it first touched empty, it still had 4 gallons left.) However I
always filled up right to the top so that gave me some more range and
makes it easier to calculate mileage too. I never filled inverted but
also didn't fully insert/seat the nozzle into the filler neck either and
would just slow down when it got close. Splashing was never an issue
that way.

The Lakewood never got quite as good a gas mileage as the 66...maybe a
little bit of weight diff, but I always assumed it was mostly gear ratio.

Someone else mentioned going 400 miles per quart of oil as if it were
acceptable? I always got concerned if my Corvairs or any of my vehicles
used/leaked as much as a  quart in between oil changes; if so they were
in need of major attention! Even my 86 Chevy pickup, which only has
290Kmiles on it (never any major engine work done on it), doesn't use
more than one quart between oil changes done about every 4Kmiles.

Mark N