<VV> Early Rear Bearings

Mike McCrae mmccrae6 at cox.net
Sun Jan 8 14:06:09 EST 2012

I can tell that none, or at least not many of you have pulled a rear early wheel bearing. Even with the special  after market “cage” which I am fortunate enough to own, some bearing races are so galled on the axle that they will not come off the axle, even with 20,000lb+ presses when you get to that point you start to see the axle shaft bend. Yes, some are plain and simple throwaways at that point. If you push a bearing like that further, you risk the bearing exploding in your face with serious bodily harm to you. My advice is to carry a known axle with a known bearing, and to carry an axle flange as well, as they are now starting to strip out the splines.
Preaching to the Choir,
Mike McCrae