<VV> Early Rear Bearings (and other spare parts)

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jan 8 15:05:11 EST 2012

A VOM is now part of the travel kit. I just happened to have one with me
from doing electrical work earlier in the week, when My wife and I went
on a Sunday outing club event. Maybe a trip of 70 miles one way. The
battery started the car fine, drove to the event. Started just fine
(normal speed and sound) and we started the return trip home. 30 minutes
later, I stop for fuel. Turn key to get back on the road and nothing. No
click, no headlights. Well, it can't be the battery.... A quick test of
the battery with the VOM showed     DEAD battery! Without the VOM I
would have tried to repair the wiring with no luck, and then called the
flatbed.

A Walmart was next to the fuel pumps, so I walked in and bought a
battery. Service stations sell batteries, convenience stores with fuel
do not. Used VOM to test alternator/regulator-all fine. So then I knew
we could drive with the AC on without fear of another dead battery.

Frank DuVal