<VV> MT Backup Lights

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 1 23:47:26 EDT 2012

Hi Byron, A pretty easy circuit to fault trace. I like using a 12 volt test lite. You should have power all the time with the key on at one of the wires going to the backup lite switch but only power at both wires with the key on and in reverse gear. If you have power all the time to both wires I would remove the backup lite switch (some oil will leak out of the trans) and see if you can make the BU lites go on and off by pushing on the plunger part of the switch. If that makes it work properly, you need to play with the spacing using nylon/plastic washers as Dennis said. If they stay on regardless of the plunger operation, you would then check the switch for it being shorted as Jim says. Unlikely but possibly you have 2 wires touching each other which will make the lites stay on. I just went thru this same issue you are having on my Monza Wagon which turned out to be getting the correct spacer combination of the switch to the trans. By the way, the wire connctors are about 3 feet forward of the switch accessed by removing the lower tunnel covers. Good luck and let us know what you find. You can do it!
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado 81301
Getting ready to go to the convention in Sturbridge