<VV> Adjusting Valves

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 11:42:27 EDT 2012

John, like it was said, lots of folks have different ideas here, but
the original value of 1 turn sets the lifter cup in the middle of the
hydraulic working range of the lifter. That allows for plenty of wear
over the life of the engine with no clicking noises unless something
was very wrong in the valve train.
I have read somewhere that due to modern machining and advanced oils,
this adjustment was reduced to 1/2 turn Max for modern lifters, and to
adjust down to 1 full turn may seat the cup and prevent the lifter from
working properly, however, I do not know if this is factual or not, i
read it somewhere.
Personally, I adjusted my lifters to 1/4 turn past zero lash cold
before engine start up and at overhaul and have not touched them since.
Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone