<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 89, Issue 48

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Thu Jun 21 15:46:04 EDT 2012

Cash,
If your engine has the original GM bolts I suggest that you replace them
with the anti-shake bolts that the Corvair vendors sell.  Every engine I
buid I put the new bolts on them and no leaks.
John Sweet
*********************
Smitty Says;  John you are a mechanic and I am a jackleg, but of the 70 or
so engines I have torn down and put back in service I have never, (I'll say
it again) never had a leak or seep from an engine top cover.  I even quit
using gaskets there over 20 years ago.  Still no leaks.  From day one I have
used the standard bolts unless I miss locate one or two.  I don't even check
the bolt grades as a grade three is good enough to handle the required
torque.  I have never had a bolt work loose.
I consider those "Butler Hut" bolts to be unnecessary at best and
destructive at worst as they chew up the mating surface under the heads.  I
like the physicians credo.  "Do No Harm"  No offence intended

Sent from mu 15 year old Dell PC.   This thing is awesome.    gg