<VV> Clutch Failure

Jim Simpson simpsonj at verizon.net
Mon Jun 25 14:09:07 EDT 2012

I had a clutch diaphragm spring break some time ago.  Like your problem, it
was a sudden failure.  The clutch action was fine -- though very light --
and the clutch engaged very softly, sort of "slipping into engagement".
Almost as if I had some kind of fluid clutch involved.

The very soft and effortless clutching action you describe would certainly
fit with the broken diaphragm spring.  But I'm a little suspicious because
you say it wouldn't disengage until you tightened the cable.  That parts
makes it sound as if there is something wrong in the cable/linkage world.

The difference may involve the fact that my clutch was on a late model
Corsa (HD clutch with bent fingers) whereas you Rampside has the flat
finger clutch -- if I got them right way around.

I'd figure on pulling the drivetrain and getting at the clutch to see
what's going on.  Good luck!

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair