<VV> was Steele Gaskets - now raising the lid

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 22:11:08 EDT 2012

JR, raising the lid will have no effect of valve seat issues. There is
sufficient mass in the head to compensate for the faster cooldown.
However it will help cool the carbs for a faster start after the fuel
boils.
In reality, the only reason seats come out is that they are installed
incorrectly. People will argue about this but it comes down to simple
physics. If you get the correct tight fit, they do not come out. At
times it is the installer using a poor technique to remove or install a
seat that creates the problem .older heads may have out of round seat
areas that allow a seat to come loose. And the normal operation of the
engine should not affect a seat. Clear up to red line temps. Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone