<VV> Air Intake WAS Insulators WAS Carb question

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Mar 7 13:18:19 EST 2012

Hey Scotty ... anything for a former Wyandottian ...

Cold air induction is so basic to performance there must be others guys with other, and perhaps easier / better, ways. However, as long as you have asked, these are my solutions for the problem; sorry, I have never bothered to take photos.

LMs are easy.  The factory air intake is in the hottest area of the engine compartment, anyplace else would be an improvement.  I use a 2 snorkel air cleaner installed backwards.  This requires shortening the snorkels.  Next fabricate a couple of exhaust pipe 'U' bends to slip over the snorkel on one end and go forward, then up around the deflector tray under the rear grille then back in the car to the front edge of the rear grille opening.  It is a simple fabrication ... almost unnoticeable -- just plan the routing to clear everything.

EMs require a little more fabrication and, are more noticeable.  The intake snorkel needs to be rerouted up towards the deck lid to more or less line up with a hole cut into the forward edge [car position] of the deck lid inner.  Fabricated pieces between the two need flat mating surfaces and a gasket so they meet and separate when the deck lid is closed and opened.  It is not a bad idea to put heat reflecting material on the underside of the deck lid.

I have never bothered with a heat supply for cold weather starting / running but it could be done if one had the desire.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.