<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 87, Issue 88

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Tue May 1 03:32:47 EDT 2012

Unlike JR I don't consider early model Corvairs the dark
side of our hobby and have had a few over the years.
Currently I own 13 of them ranging from my fav 1960 models
up through 1964. Two of my '60's are on display in Museums
and both have clear Plexiglas deck lids. It is a nice item
for showing off a very unique feature of our favorite cars
- the rear mounted engine. Many folks who see one of my
Corvairs in the museum are educated somewhat after seeing
the engine through the clear deck lid. My signature '60,
the crocus cream 700 4-door sedan has worn a clear plexi
deck lid for years and years. I wouldn't have it any other
way.

As for values I would buy any clear deck lid for $50.
Right now! If it was in fairly good shape I would buy any
plexi lid for $175. I have followed prices of these items
over the years and have seen people ask more than $500.
Much more. I don't think they actually sold any for $900,
but there are dreamers out there (can you say eBay?).
Years ago I bought a perfect plexi deck lid from a fellow
CCE member for $250 and drove all the way to Chicago to
get it. I thought it was a bargain at that price. The last
one I purchased was at the Jax Convention several years
ago. The asking price was $500 but I arranged a trade for
some aftermarket knock off wire wheels for it. Another
bargain in my mind.

Without seeing Ray's deck lid it would be tough to place a
value or a bid on it. But I am interested! I think Ray
could expect to get several hundred dollars for it or more
if it is in very good condition. I would even offer a
stock steel replacement panel with my offer just to help
him out. Send me a pic, Ray! - Pete "Clearly a fan of the
Plexiglas Deck Lid Option" Koehler