<VV> Valve seats

lonwall@corvairunderground.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Thu May 3 16:31:59 EDT 2012

To all -  In 2 million miles of Corvair driving over 45 years - I have
only lost 3 valve seats -   2 of them were in cars and engines that I
had recently purchased (cheap)  and I had no idea what had happened to
the engines before. The third was in my trip back from Bass Lake a
number of years back where I lost my exhaust packing when I still had
700 miles to get home. Of course I had a van full of parts for the swap
meet but of course was carrying no packings.

I drove 700 miles on Interstate 5 with essentially an open exhaust - not
good.  When I limped home the engine was totally destroyed - dropped
valves seats was the least of my problems.

The point is - I still believe that EVERY valve seat failure can be
prevented with a few basic rules. That essentially means that you don't
have to lose valve seats - even in 140's.  (Keep in mind that new owners
of Ultra Vans sometimes totally fried the motor within 200 miles of the
factory because of very poor driving habits - and that was with NEW
Corvair motors.)

I have seen WAY more valve seat failures in engines that have recently
had "all new seats put in"  just to be safe, of course.    If you have
your seats replaced by someone who KNOWS what they are doing and has a
good track record with Corvair heads then such would not be the case
(Steve Goodman is an excellent choice for example).  BUT if your seats
are in solid shape then you my not be gaining any security even then.

The reason I say not to replace perfectly good valve seats is because,
unless done by a select few individuals (like Steve) you will probably
make the situation worse for your self.  You say you have an excellent
local shop that works with aluminum heads all the time? They may
certainly do a good job on the seats - but I've seen MANY who couldn't.

Lon
www.corvairunderground.com
SIGN UP FOR OUR ONLINE NEWS - A new one is coming out this evening or
tomorrow!
http://www.corvairunderground.com/E-news.htm