<VV> Gas Shortage in NY

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 10:05:07 EST 2012

                                                                                   B"H

I'm guessing that you folks who live outside the NY-NJ area can't imagine the hours and hours of waiting to buy gasoline as a result of the breakdown of the fuel distribution system in the Northeast from Sandy last week.  From the hundreds of gas stations that are in Brooklyn, where I live, no more than about 10 have gasoline at any given time.  They get a delivery, cars line up for blocks, and halfway through the line,they run out.  There are cops at every station directing traffic and ensuring that no one cuts the lines.  This is worse than the 1974 crisis, which I remember vividly since I already had a car then.  A lot of this is due to the incompetence of the authorities who are responsible for fuel distribution, as well as a crumbling infrastructure that can't handle any type of stress.  NYC is now on a rationing, odd/even gas system, which they should have implemented last week.  Better late than never.

In any case, I got up at 4:00 this morning, got to the station at 5, and only had to wait around 35 minutes on line.  Unfortunately they only had regular, which doesn't work well in a 110 engine.  I retarded the timing a bit after filling up and had no problem getting to work, with no pinging.  It's also pretty cold here so the engine never gets really hot (oil temp was around 150 degrees when I got to work).

I'm going to give Octane Supreme 130 a shot, it's supposed to have real lead, and hopefully will help protect my engine.  I just changed the oil, along with a new pan gasket.  And I'll probably not drive the car unless I absolutely have to, I'll be using public transportation to get to work until the crisis is over (they are saying several weeks now).

Of course for me personally, the gasoline crisis isn't much compared to the folks who lost their loved ones, their homes, and their possessions from the damage done by the storm.  My prayers go out to those who suffered losses and I hope they only experience joy and happiness in the future.

Best wishes everyone...Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C