<VV> Tesla - Model S - Car of year (no Vair)

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 09:11:00 EST 2012

Hmmm. That was an interesting F1 page, but a bit dated. Current engines in F1 are 2.4 liter V8 producing about 800 hp, idles at 6000 rpm, and redlines at 18,000 rpm. These are very cool engines too. The tolerances are so tight that, when cold, the engines are "seized" and can't be turned over. The engines have to be warmed by pumping hot water and oil through them for about two hours before attempting to start.

Corvair content: The original 1960 Corvair 140 cubic inch engine is approximately 2.4 liters. Well, 800 hp is a bit out of reach, but it is still a wonderful engine, and the first mass produced flat six.

Joe White (62 sedan, 64 Spyder project, 66 Porvair)