<VV> best camshaft for a 110 ?

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 19:27:03 EST 2012

Daniel, I did extensive research on camshafts when I built my 110 two years
ago. I looked at HP and torque curves for many, even found a combined chart
to see how the originals compared to aftermarket.

I too wanted better low end performance, but unfortunately, they don't make
one that works better there that is still nicely driveable for going down
the road at higher speeds.

I teetered back and forth between a Isky 260 (slightly better low end power
than stock) versus the more agressive 270 (more low end power than the 260
with better top end performance too) cam for my engine, but in the end
ended up with the more agressive 270. I also went with a regrind due to
budget. I had occasion to take a look at the cam when I took off the top
housing for a bearing replacement not to long ago, and all lobes look
great, so the regrind was good. Note: if you use a regrind, note that std
push rods may be too short due to the metal removed from the cam. Something
to check during assembly.

I've driven it 2000 miles now, and it does give better performance at the
lower rpm's, but also kicks in great when I want to pass someone. It also
has a mild lope at idle. But it does not create a problem.

Before making a decision, just type in corvair camshafts in Google and go
check out the sites. Clarks has some good information on their cams in the
technical section, the forums also have some good information, there are
several engine builders, Steve Goodman, Ray Sedman, etc., that provide data
on their web sites,  that helped me decide which way to go. I also talked
to a parts guy at a corvair supplier who had a LM with a 110 with 270 cam,
and he was happy with it.

Mark Durham