<VV> Garage Lighting

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Wed Oct 3 12:51:51 EDT 2012

Joe, stay away from SHO (Super High Output) lighting, especially in Florida.
I live in central KY and I installed the SHO lights.  They get really hot.
I suspended mine 12" from the ceiling in my 12' tall garage to allow for
plenty of air movement across the ballast.  They were constantly overheating
and shutting off.  They work very well in an air-conditioned environment but
not so well in the garage.

I finally replaced the SHO ballasts with HO (High Output) ballast and have
had very few incidents if any of over-heating.  I can buy HO tubes from
Lowe's so I would imagine they sell the fixtures as well.  They certainly
won't be cheap compared to the 11.99 shop lights they sell, but the
difference in lighting ability is well worth the extra money.  In my 20X24
garage, with painted, white walls and ceilings I have two 8'HO fixtures each
with two lamps.  The provide all the light one could hope for.  I still drag
a fluorescent shop light and/or flashlight under the car with me, but it
isn't absolutely necessary.  It all depends on how old your eyes are.

Don't scrimp on lighting.  As others have pointed out, if you have
non-reflective surfaces like bare frame walls and open rafters or trusses,
you will need more light.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY