<VV> was HELP, was garage lighting info, was Permitting

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Mon Oct 8 19:40:18 EDT 2012

My house has a newer attached 2-car garage and a much older detached
3-car garage.  The 3-car garage houses the Corvairs (and the lawn
tractor and the patio furniture et al) and the 2-car garage houses our
modern cars and is the place where I work on Corvairs.  I do minor work
only.

When a friend in my local Corvair club was moving, he dropped off his
vehicle scissors lift for me to keep in my garage while he set up his
new garage at his new place.  We rolled it into my side of the 2-car garage.

Naturally, I sought to use it during this time.  Electrically powered
and hydraulically operated, you plug it in to an ordinary 110v outlet.
The first time I hit the switch, the house went dark.  (Cue annoyed wife
at this point.)

I knew that our electric service was marginal but now I needed to know
how marginal and what would be necessary to fix it.  The power came from
the street via overhead wires into that separate 3-car garage, then was
subbed off that into the house.  With those overhead wires passing
through trees, every time the wind blew the lights flickered.  The panel
in the detached garage looked like it was installed by Thomas Edison
personally.  It was time for a major change.

A trench was dug from the house to the street, and all new service was
put in that trench, to a new meter and new box at the house. Then we
subbed the separate garage from that, also underground. While we were at
it, we added additional 110 outlets and added new 220 outlets in the
attached garage.  We added heat and A/C to the attached garage and to
the office above it.  Being in an area with comprehensive building codes
and inspections, all the necessary permitting was obtained and my
participation was limited to moving dirt and writing checks.

When the job was all done, the lights no longer flickered in a breeze
and I could hit the switch on that lift without disturbing my wife.

At which point my friend's new garage was ready and he wanted his lift
back...