<VV> Looking for a corvair engine

lonwall@corvairunderground.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Tue Oct 16 15:24:01 EDT 2012

On 10/13/2012 1:02 PM, Charles Redditt wrote:

Charles - The YN designation could indeed mean 1961-63 BUT it could also
mean 1964, which IS a 164 cu inch motor. Mr. Wynne advises against using
1964 motors because most of them still have the smaller head gasket
surface. This is an issue I have always had a problem with, because
after 44 years of substantial Corvair experience I have never seen more
blown head gaskets on 1964 motors than 65-69 motors. The same goes for
barrel distortion.

Further, what happens when you blow a head gasket? On Corvairs it slowly
starts with a chirp and 5-10,000 miles later it can cause a loss in
power in ONE cylinder. I don't fly but am about 100% certain that won't
cause a dead stick landing.

To certain of an engine is 1964 or earlier you need to see the number on
the crankshaft. Getting the head numbers and other identifying feature
might make me 98% certain what it is but if you are too paranoid and
need 100% certainty only the crank number will do. You'd be surprised
what I've seen over the last 44 years.

Again, i don't fly. but I am AM very experienced with Corvair engines.

Lon wall
www.corvairunderground.com