<VV> Bad Corvair

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Thu Oct 18 13:00:31 EDT 2012

Smitty Says;        Just got back from seeing the light at the end of the
tunnel on the Bad Corvair.  We did find and fix several issues and finally
took the nasty approach of swapping part.  Good carbs and a couple of
rebuilds on the distributor.  At best after that the engine would run, but
only at higher rpms,  I kept saying "vacuum leak" but the owner assured me
that he had strayed combustible mixture around all the potential air leak
areas with no results.  Today my eyes went to the vacuum modulator line and
I knew it was one place we had not investigated.  Pulled the hose off and
plugged the port in the crossover and like magic all the problems went away.
Farther check showed that the hose was off the modulator.  I have no idea at
what point the line got knocked loose.   Whatever, it is fixed now and I am
glad to put it to rest.