<VV> Bad Corvair

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Fri Oct 19 18:36:13 EDT 2012

Smitty Says;  Bob questioned my post on the bad Corvair getting well and
wanted to know how an ignition problem could turn into a vacuum leak.  I
suppose one would have had to read and remember all my posts for the last
month or better in order to not miss the boat at one point or another.  Two
or three????? Weeks ago I reported that the car was well.  The owner had
made the last correction on the engine and driven it over to my house,
saying it was running great.  Later that evening he called and said he had
oil all over the engine and was wondering what could have caused that.  I
advised him to clean out the PCV plumbing going down into the block cover.
I heard nothing from him until a couple of days later he said it wouldn't
idle except at a very high rate.  I said to myself, "Oh Poohy" or some words
to that effect.  The bad Corvair was back again.

Today he called me and said he knew when the hose came off the modulator
valve. He said surely I did it when I pulled the shroud.  He was probably
right.  In my defense, as the knowlegible "Mechanic" I could have realized
the potential involved but I was blindsided by the similar (but not quite
the same) symptoms that had been there when I first got involved.  The
problem had been initially an ignition problem and was now a mixture
problem.  (Vacuum leak).

All during this Flailex the owner ,when he gets a chance, is swapping carbs
and distributors, and reporting that the problem is "still" there.  I worked
on it when I could but always had to pick up on what had been done in the
meantime.  I have now spent too much time explaining myself just to satisfy
others lack of following the posts.